A contestant who died after completing the obstacle course on popular television series Wipeout has been identified as 38-year-old Michael Paredes.
The Los Angeles County Department medical examiner and coroner’s office confirmed the identity to Variety.
Paredes’ autopsy is still pending.
As previously reported, the male contestant had just completed the course in Santa Clarita, California when he needed medical attention, sources close to the production said.
He was assisted by on-site medical staff until paramedics arrived and took him to the hospital where he was declared dead on November 19, a Los Angeles County coroner’s spokeswoman said.
It’s understood all contestants undergo medical assessments ahead of filming.
The reality competition show which requires contestants to navigate an extreme obstacle course featuring giant balls and pitfalls is currently being rebooted by TBS and Endemol Shine North America.
TBS announced in April that the show would be returning with new hosts, John Cena and Nicole Byer.
The show is slated to premiere in 2021.
– with NBC