When George Maddern was born, his mum Skie was told her boy was one-in-a-million.
She had no idea how right they were – but for all the wrong reasons.
George was born with a rare genetic condition called Xeroderma pigmentosum, essentially making him allergic to sunlight.
It’s an extremely rare condition that affects one in a million people across the United States and Europe.
Everyday activities become infinitely harder for the Victorian toddler and his parents Skie and Paul.
Taking the 18-month-old to daycare requires him to be heavily wrapped in a blanket.
Playing around the house requires all blinds to be closed and heavily-tinted windows.
But all of those precautions are necessary because the condition makes George ultra-susceptible to skin cancer.
Fortunately, George’s parents were on the condition early.
Using genomic sequencing, doctors were able to diagnose George quickly and minimise his exposure to UV rays.
“This diagnosis means George can no longer play outdoors, be exposed to UV unprotected windows or even attend any venue that uses UV lighting such as halogen light globes,” George’s uncle Shayne said in a GoFundMe page established for the family.
“The Madderns’ are a very active outdoor family and they are ready to tackle anything that comes their way, and are already planning so that George can have a childhood that is as normal as possible.”
More than $33,000 has so far been raised for the family.