Politics

Victor Harbor police officers cleared over violent arrest of Nathan Cross in 2017

Four officers involved in a violent arrest at a South Australian police station will not face criminal charges.

Confronting video, as seen above, showed the officers slamming 43-year-old Nathan Cross’ head into a counter at the Victor Harbor Police Station in February 2017.

Cross was led, barefoot and handcuffed, into the station following his arrest.

The incident soon turned ugly when the 43-year-old was slammed headfirst into the counter and knocked unconscious.

Cross suffered a deep gash to the head during the arrest and suffered a significant brain injury.

His lawyer, Andrew Carpenter, said the father-of-four’s life changed forever on the day of the incident.

Confronting video captured the violent arrest which left the father-of-four with a significant brain injury. Credit: 7NEWS

“His memory’s been affected, his personality’s been affected … everything about his life has been affected,” he said.

He was then charged with assault, with officers claiming they feared he was going to headbutt or spit on them.

In the Magistrates Court earlier this year Cross was found not guilty over assault charges, prompting an internal inquiry into the officers’ conduct.

The results of that investigation were released on Wednesday, with SA Police determining that no criminal charges would be laid by the Director of Public Prosecutions against the officers involved.

Cross' lawyer alleges that officers breached their duty of care during the incident.
Cross’ lawyer alleges that officers breached their duty of care during the incident. Credit: 7NEWS

What's your reaction?

Excited
0
Happy
0
In Love
0
Not Sure
0
Silly
0

You may also like

More in:Politics

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *