Lifestyle

SA misses vaccine goal in steady rollout

Health officials are happy with the pace of South Australia’s COVID-19 vaccine rollout despite falling short of initial targets.

SA had planned to administer 12,000 doses to mainline frontline health, airport and quarantine hotel workers in the first three weeks.

But by Thursday only 4871 had been completed.

Premier Steven Marshall said he had spoken about the program with Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier who remained satisfied with the progress.

“She made it very clear, that it is a slow start but it is ramping up,” he told reporters on Thursday.

“We don’t want to make any errors and that’s why we are taking our time.

“It’s most important to focus on doing this properly. We don’t want it rushed, we want it right.”

Mr Marshall said the government was continually adding more clinics to provide the vaccines and by the end of the month would bring GPs on board to provide even greater access.

SA Health reported three new coronavirus cases on Thursday, with two of those considered old infections.

All three remain in hotel quarantine.

It said continued testing of wastewater samples was still picking up traces of the COVID-19 virus but the levels were decreasing after very strong results were returned in the Adelaide CBD earlier this week.

The most like explanations remained virus shedding from old infections which could include people who had travelled into the city for the Adelaide Festival and Festive Fringe activities, including some from interstate.

Mr Marshall said officials would continue to monitor the situation very carefully.

What's your reaction?

Excited
0
Happy
0
In Love
0
Not Sure
0
Silly
0

You may also like

More in:Lifestyle

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *