Lifestyle

SA hotel quarantine system get revamp

South Australia will make sweeping reforms to its hotel quarantine system after a cluster of COVID-19 cases was linked to one facility in Adelaide.

Premier Steven Marshall says anyone who tests positive while in a medi-hotel will now be moved to a dedicated health facility.

All security at that facility will be provided by police and all staff will not be allowed to work at other high-risk locations including prisons and aged care centres.

They will also be allowed to use dedicated hotel facilities in Adelaide to avoid returning to their homes between shifts.

Mr Marshall said he would also ask national cabinet to consider testing all Australians returning from overseas before they are allowed to board their flights.

He said a negative test would be required before they are permitted to travel.

Mr Marshall said while no system could eliminate all risk the government would do whatever it could to make the quarantine arrangements safer.

“We continue to act swiftly and decisively based on the expert health advice,” Mr Marshall said.

So far 29 coronavirus cases have been linked to the so-called Parafield cluster which was sparked when a worker at the Peppers Hotel contracted the virus from a returned traveller.

That was initially thought to be a cleaner at the hotel but Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier said further investigations had determined that a security guard was the first person infected.

However, Professor Spurrier said an examination of CCTV footage from Peppers had found no breach if safety protocols.

“I can absolutely confirm that nobody was in the wrong place at the wrong time and I think that is the most important thing,” she said.

No new COVID-19 cases were reported in SA on Wednesday with 9403 tests conducted on Tuesday.

What's your reaction?

Excited
0
Happy
0
In Love
0
Not Sure
0
Silly
0

You may also like

More in:Lifestyle

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *