Queenslanders who have been in Victoria on or since December 21 have been advised by authorities to get tested immediately and quarantine at home until they get their results.
There are no changes to the state’s border restrictions but Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young said she the situation in Victoria was very serious.
“While we are not announcing hotspots in Victoria at this stage, I am very concerned how the situation is escalating,” she said.
“Victoria’s own assessment of the situation is that the risk of spread is right across the state, not just in Melbourne, which is why they have imposed restrictions across their entire state.
“This is very serious and we’re taking this action now, like we did with New South Wales, this will ensure we know of any positive cases really early and we can manage our response accordingly.”
Dr Young said one close contact of a Victorian case had been identified in the Mackay region as well as a casual contact on the Gold Coast.
‘I am very concerned how the situation is escalating.’
She said both NSW and Victoria were in a critical stage of their response to try to contain community transmission.
“Things can change quickly really quickly with this virus, we’ve seen that in other jurisdictions, which is why I continue to advise Queenslanders to reconsider their need to travel to New South Wales or Victoria.
“If you do decide to go, you need to be aware of the potential consequences, such as border changes and not making it home to Queensland before hotel quarantine is imposed.”
She said Queenslanders in Victoria and New South Wales should consider coming home.
The earliest Queensland will review the current border restrictions for greater Sydney is on January 8, 28 days since the first case of community transmission.
The border is closed to anyone who has been in the COVID-declared hotspots of greater Sydney and surrounding areas in the past 14 days.
Border declaration passes are also needed for travellers who have visited NSW since December 11.
A child who returned from Pakistan was the only new case recorded in Queensland on Saturday.
“This child was already in hospital after being admitted with a family member who had recently tested positive while in hotel quarantine,” Dr Young said.