Politics

Melbourne CBD party stabbings lead to eight arrests

Eight young men arrested in connection with six stabbings at a party in Melbourne’s CBD are awaiting charges.

Police descended on properties across the city’s outer southeastern suburbs on Friday morning, arresting four men aged 18, two aged 19, one 20 year old and a 16-year-old boy.

Charges are yet to be laid, but will include the offence of affray, Detective Superintendent Peter Brigham said on Friday.

There were members of street gangs present at the 50-person gathering in the early hours of Monday morning, but the motivation for the stabbings does not appear to have been gang-related, he said.

“This is a unique one-off event that relates to tensions between individuals rather than tensions between gangs,” Brigham told reporters.

He said it was concerning that knives were carried into the event and it was lucky nobody was killed.

Short term rental

The party held at a short-term rental in Spencer Street came to the attention of police about 2.20am Monday when a 19-year-old Dandenong North man flagged down police at Southern Cross Station, telling officers he’d been stabbed after a fight broke out.

He was taken to hospital in a critical condition with several upper body wounds.

Five other young men aged between 17 and 20 were also stabbed and took themselves to hospital.

They received treatment but none of their injuries were life-threatening.

It was earlier reported that there had been nine stabbings during the incident, however police have clarified that three of the young men who presented at hospital were not stabbed and were not involved in the incident.

Police have made eight arrests over the stabbing of six young men at a party in Melbourne. Credit: AAP

The Friday morning arrests took place in the suburbs of Dandenong, Langwarrin, Pakenham, Berwick, Dandenong North, Cranbourne, Clyde North and Doveton.

Commander Mick Frewen said the arrests were a “great result”, highlighting the lengths to which police would go to hold violent offenders accountable.

“We understand there is immense public concern when an incident like this occurs, especially in the CBD area that many people travel to regularly and expect to be safe in,” Frewen said.

“It should also send a strong message that violent offending of this nature will not be tolerated.”

Police have not issued fines for breaching coronavirus social gathering restrictions despite the event being attended by 50 people – over the current indoor private gathering limit.

What's your reaction?

Excited
0
Happy
0
In Love
0
Not Sure
0
Silly
0

You may also like

More in:Politics

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *