Sports

Man Utd striker charged over ‘racist’ post

Manchester United striker Edinson Cavani has been charged by the Football Association with misconduct relating to a social media post in which he used a racially-sensitive word.

The 33-year-old Uruguayan sent the message on Instagram after scoring the winner for United over Southampton last month, but deleted the post when he was told the word could be offensive.

Cavani has until January 4 to respond but in a statement on their website, United said there had been no intent and that as a club, they were “fully committed to the fight against racism”.

“Edinson and the club were clear that there was absolutely no malicious intent behind the message, which he deleted and apologised for, as soon as he was informed that it could have been misconstrued,” United said.

“The player and the club will now consider the charge and respond to the FA accordingly.”

What's your reaction?

Excited
0
Happy
0
In Love
0
Not Sure
0
Silly
0

You may also like

More in:Sports

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *