Sports

Lewis Hamilton tests positive for coronavirus and ruled out of Sakhir Grand Prix

Formula One champion Lewis Hamilton has been ruled out of Sunday’s Sakhir Grand Prix after testing positive for COVID-19.

F1 officials confirmed the positive result on Tuesday and the 35-year-old is now isolating in Bahrain

Hamilton last raced on Sunday when he won the Bahrain Grand Prix and he’s already clinched the world title this season, the seventh of his illustrious career.

The British superstar is the third F1 driver to test positive, following Sergio Perez and Lance Stroll.

“The FIA, Formula One and Mercedes Team can today confirm that during mandatory pre-race PRC testing for the Sakhir Grand Prix, Lewis Hamilton has tested positive for COVID-19,” F1 said in a statement.

“In accordance with COVID-19 protocols, he is now isolating. All contacts have been declared. The procedures set out by the FIA and Formula One will ensure no wider impact on this weekend’s event.”

Formula One champion Lewis Hamilton has been ruled out of Sunday’s Sakhir Grand Prix after testing positive for COVID-19. Credit: Getty

Hamilton’s Mercedes team said Hamilton reported “mild symptoms” on the morning following Sunday’s Bahrain Grand Prix where he claimed his 11th win of the season.

“Lewis was tested three times last week and returned a negative result each time, the last of which was on Sunday afternoon at the Bahrain International Circuit as part of the standard race weekend testing program,” a statement from the Formula One team read.

“However, he woke up on Monday morning with mild symptoms and was informed at the same time that a contact prior to his arrival in Bahrain had subsequently tested positive.

“Lewis therefore took a further test and returned a positive result. This has since been confirmed by a retest.”

More to come.

What's your reaction?

Excited
0
Happy
0
In Love
0
Not Sure
0
Silly
0

You may also like

More in:Sports

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *